Friday, June 29, 2007

Like Elivs and His Mom

I did two things yesterday. Two and only two.

I sat in front of my computer furiously editing, transcribing interview notes, and going through page after page of reports and meeting notes from the inception of Aunty's Jowai ministry in 1990 until now. I also went through old journals, prayer letters, and e-mails. It was a productive, work-ahohlic day.

But it means that I'm done with my information gathering and rough (rough, rough, rough) draft editing of Aunty's memories. I've done what I can and should on it while here in India! (Before you get too excited, it's nowhere near book form. Sparing you the details of what's left, I'll just say that the rest is slated to be accomplished when I'm in California and Aunty is settled in Faridabad -- giving us both some time to think, process, and remember.)

I'm just so thankful for yesterday especially and all that I was able to extract from the piles of information I was going through. I'm thankful for God's faithfulness through the process... I've gotten to see the clear evidence of his long-term faithfulness and miraculous working in Aunty's life; I've also gotten to experience it myself in new and unique ways as I've waded through this process. One of the things that's been impressed upon me is the necessity and value of making memorials/reminders/records of God's work in my life so that I can regularly look back, see what He's done, and praise Him for His character and the outworkings of the gospel in my life. Praise the Lord for his work and for the ability to remember and record his faithfulness!

Thing number two I did today was eat mangos; or, to be more precise, variations of Magnifera Indica L.,. There are 24 different kinds of mangos here in India and I think in eating 10 specimins today I was tapping into 4 of those varieties. So little time left; so many varieties to go!


Believe it or not, I'd never eaten a fresh mango before coming to India. Was I ever missing out! Mangos are, for lack of a better, more descriptive word... yummy! And ooey and gooey and sweet and cool and tangy and refreshing. They are also a fixture in our daily, mandatory, after-meal fruit eating sprees.

I haven't often posted on my "day". But I was rejoicing so in the accomplishment on the book that I wanted to share with you all. I know many of you have prayed earnestly for me in that area -- thank you! And mangos... well... just trying to give you a taste of my life in India.

With love,

Your Duffy

2 comments:

Cynthe said...

Karisa,
WOW! I'm SO excited to hear how much progress you made on the book!!!!! Praise God!!

I can't even imagine what it must have been like (not just the work) but the meditation on, and reflection of all that God has accomplished in Aunty over the years. I hope it was as rich as it sounds like it'd be!

And I just have to say: from one who didn't experience their first fresh mango till HS, even though I lived in the Philippines since 4th grade, HURRAH! You are indeed one of the lucky few to be able to experience the joys of eating a fresh mango. Mangos here in the States just don't compare! :)

anthony said...

Nice Switchfoot reference, Karisa...

That's great to hear about your progress on this writing project. What a privilege it must be for you to get an inside peek into the life of such an incredible godly woman.

By the way, when are you coming back to California?

Scott