Wednesday, June 06, 2007

ESL SOS

“Kh – now.”

“Know.”

“Now.”

“No, know.”

“No now?”

“Yes… er… no…er… nay… know!”

“No?”

“Yes, know.”

“Huh?”


I’ve always had a fairly amicable relationship with my mother tongue. A few random “oot” and “aboots”, one frightening junior college English teacher (Mr. Roundy called the class “a pile of stinkweeds”), and a propensity toward verbose written creations are the only aspects of the relationship that could be termed “negative”. And even those experiences I prefer to see as quirks or anomalies. (In retrospect, I have had one truly negative experience: my inability to consistently and correctly use “nauseous” vs. “nauseated” in their respective “right ways” has led to sometimes violent remonstrations from a roommate who will remain nameless.)

The point being: I like English. I speak it. I write it. I read it. I’d say it’s been pretty good to me.

Then I tried teaching it.

Who came up with English? What were they thinking? How are student and teacher supposed to keep their sanity when every time you finish teaching a “rule” the very next word to be read breaks that rule? Homonyms, homographs, and homophones…is there a specific phobia for these kinds of terrors? Grammar? Eek.

It is not my student’s fault. My student – also my dear friend – is19-year-old Tannu. Tannu is one of Aunty’s adopted daughters and has been living with us for the past month. This past May she received her certificate in Bible from the local Christian college. She did that course via their Hindi medium program. This fall she will begin studying at what they call “Open University” in a bid to complete her 10th standard (code word for high school diploma). Her long-term goal is to go back to Bible college and obtain her BTh. Both the high school diploma and her future Bible studies will require English proficiency. I have never seen such an eager, motivated student. She is constantly reading – signs, brochures, books, and receipts. Anything with English she wants to decipher. She is bold in striking up conversations with me and we role-play phone conversations and shopping trips multiple times a day to help her practice. She diligently writes chapters of the Bible and has memorized a plethora of verses in English. She is a model student.

(And on a side note, I am so thankful for Tannu! Her cheerful spirit, amazing and quick laughter, and affectionate friendship have all been a true blessing to me. Her story, which I will have to share in person, is an amazing testimony to God's miraculous, saving power, and sovereign work. Even her desire and ability to learn after, as a girl, having been kept from educational opportunities most of her life, is an example and reminder to me of God providing wisdom to those the world would deem foolish. I love Tannu so much!)

But English is still difficult! I watched My Fair Lady the other night and was fairly (see!?!) oozing sympathy for heroine Eliza Doolittle. That poor thing had to contend not only with the irascible Henry Higgins but also the uppity pronunciation and finicky rules of the English’s English!

To add insult to injury, I've barely been able to write this post. I was agonizing over each dot and tiddle (or is it dot and tittle?) because of my new, painful, language-aware state. (If you couldn't tell already, I just gave up and wrote the post anyway...crimes against the "Mothertongue" and all.)

My unexpected foray into teaching English as a second language needs to have a storybook ending. So I’m on the lookout for any advice or resources all you practiced teachers might have on hand. Pronunciation is a key difficulty; how do you help a non-native speaker “hear” the difference in what you are saying and what is coming out of their mouth? Have you ever had students who really struggle with consonant blends and combinations (i.e., they always put a vowel sound in-between any two consonants at the beginning of a word – “paress” or “puress” instead of “press”)? What about a student who seems to consistently mix up seemingly unconnected letters (o and v, f and s, p and r)… any idea what might be going on there? What combination of phonics, memorization, etc, should be used in teaching someone to read? Another difficulty – bringing together the three aspects of language learning (reading, writing, conversation) when the student is at different “levels” in each. Ideas? Helpful hints? I've been using several on-line ESL resources/curriculums that have been helpful, but I'd welcome any tried and true recommendations.

Just to clarify, English and I now have a love/hate relationship. I'm sure once we work on our communication the relationship will improve.


(In the space of time it has taken me to write this blog Tannu and I are both seeing the brigher side of English. It's beginning to make sense to her, my ability to convey meaning and explination in Hindi/English is improving, and we are having so much fun reading missionary stories, doing Bible study, and acting out conversations. Today we both saw a marked improvement in her reading comprehension. Don’t let that stop you from any suggestions, though. I could use all the help I can get!)

6 comments:

the Walrus said...

I resent the accusation that I am violent.

Elizabeth & Shea said...

Karisa, I hear and feel your pain! I spent last summer teaching recent Korean immigrants reading, writing, and vocab. It was really hard. Especially since my director wanted them to read Shakespeare by the end of the summer. Let's just say we ended up referencing Cliff's notes a lot. :)
I certainly learned about as much as my students during that whole process! Strength and creativeness to you my sister!

Brian said...

I have been racking my brain trying to guess which of your roomates would ever think to correct your use “nauseous” vs. “nauseated”? I keep trying to come up with the answer but just keep running into a brick WAL
(possibly even the same wal might have been violently hitting you with her stack of bricks)

Mike Burbidge said...

Jessy's not violent! Not in the least! I seriously doubt that black belt is for anything but self-defense...and the sword, a mere decoration! ...and I'm not sure...but I don't think she's ever pulled a knife on anyone, certainly not at church! You wouldn't do such things, right Jessy?

Cynthe said...

I beg to differ, Mike, and seeing that I am her current roommate, I would hope my opinion sustains more weight...I have the...er...bruises to prove it... :)
But all of Jessy's violence is in love. ;)

JK. I have no such bruises. But I would note that Jessy only said she resented the accusation, not denied it...

Brian said...

Jessy, this is an awesome Blog you have! (at least you posted here!)

oh hi Karisa...