Monday, November 20, 2006

Pell-Mell

Written November 15: Aunty says India is like this – you come zealous to “get things done” and God slows you down. Then, when you’ve had some “ah-ha” moments in connection with the snail pace and your far from world-changing existence, the pace quickens as He provides opportunities for you to share and serve, beyond what you would have been able to bear before your forced rejuvenation period. Here’s a rundown on our current activities…

We’ve moved! We spent our first night at our new residence on November 15th. This move has taken all of our time and energy for the past several weeks, and we’ll probably continue to finish up various projects. We moved all the furniture by rickshaw or our van. The big things came by rickshaw. Yes, I have pictures, and I hope to show them soon. My favorite is of our dining room table and 6 chairs perched precariously; you’ll have to see it to believe it. Our move means I have my own room on the 2nd floor. I love the 2nd floor, as it has a large balcony that gets the morning and afternoon sun. It will be so lovely to sit out there in the wintertime. It’s not quite winter yet, though it is getting cooler in the mornings.

“Ek, dos, teen, char, paunch, dus”… Beginning next week, I will join 10-12 slum children (ranging in age from 6 to 10) for Hindi lessons. Mrs. George, a kind, retired teacher and principal who runs a Hindi/English school for the purpose of educating slum children, has agreed to allow me to sit in on the Hindi portion in exchange for my help teaching the English portion. An 8-year-old girl named Lahlti, who lives near Aunty and I will hopefully be attending with me. She is a curious girl who would love to study but has never been given the opportunity. I must admit I’m a bit nervous for my first day of “school” and look forward to having a friend!! 

Life seems to be piling up fast! Specifically, I’m sharing with some of Aunty's friends on November 25th. Please pray for me. Then again on December 2nd I am sharing about self-worth. And a few days later, I get to travel to Pune and visit with with more of our friends at the counseling center. In addition to sharing, I have begun interacting with some of the young nationals. There are about 150,000 young people coming to our neighborhood to work in the call centers. (Yes, the young people who call you during the dinner hour). The call center industry is rapidly growing and, because of the high pay and prestige of the position, drawing many in. However, the suicide rate among these people is skyrocketing. It’s a social dynamic that I don’t yet understand, but I definitely know it is a group that needs hope.

Please pray for us!

edited as of 11/22/06

No comments: