Saturday, March 24, 2007

World Cup 2007

I'm living in India. And in case I'd forgotten that, the Cricket World Cup Craze is here to remind me.

In America (as I'm sure you'll all agree) a World Cup (of any variety) doesn't stir our hearts, rouse national fervor, or occupy the time, energy, and money of the upper echelons of government.

But here...well, let me put it this way: We recently had a bomb scare in our little market and, contrary to the police's efforts to clear the area, a crowd of curious onlookers swarmed on in (I didn't quite understand the attraction). Suggestion: next time they want people to vacate the premises they should broadcast a cricket match… because tonight I went to the market and there was not a soul in sight. I'm not kidding. Not a rickshaw driver to hail, not an ice cream cart man loitering about, not a single person honking by on their scooter (no honking? That’s a miracle!). Tonight is the match between India and Sri Lanka, a crucial match for India’s continued World Cup hopes.

I like cricket. I really do. I'll admit that I used to think it was a sissy sport, and my time in Oxford didn't help that impression. I think it was the white uniforms that turned me off. White? Playing a sport? You've got to be kidding me. And matches that spanned days at a time? That sort of takes the adrenalin rush out of it for me. Pick up the pace guys! End it!

But Sibu loves cricket. And Brejan loves cricket. And Aunty Molly loves cricket. And Uncle Sonny loves (and plays) cricket. And just about every Indian I've met (except Aunty Sheila) loves cricket. While in Rome, do as the Romans do? Yup, in the absence of a good ol’ Dodger game with the fam or a tumultuous Laker season to break my heart, I decided adopting a love for the unofficial national sport of India would be an excellent idea. One or two batting lessons from Uncle, a church picnic pickup game, and some afternoons with Sibu later, I felt pretty confident about my general mastery of (and growing love for) the game of cricket.

Pretty simple: Someone – looking like a wild windmill – throws the ball and another someone wields the thick bat in a swing that keeps me guessing between baseball, tennis, and hockey. Then the batting someone runs back and forth between the lines (unfortunately reminding me of a really awful drill from high school volleyball team days).

Right.

When I watched my first televised cricket game and heard terms like wicket, partnership, maiden, and golden duck thrown around, I knew I was in serious trouble. So in preparation for the World Cup I went HERE and got an education. Interesting, tricky sport this cricket, and catching that nice little ball barehanded or bowling at the speed they do definitely helps pull them out of the sissy category. Add to that the fact that I watched a few amazing, intense games with the excitable fan Sibu and the fact that I finally got a handle on how to properly hold the bat and get a good hit… I was hooked.

Good thing too because on this side of the world (I use that term loosely) they take their sport pretty seriously. Any sport whose most famous competition centers around two teams vying for “a small urn containing ‘the ashes of English cricket’ (in reality the ashes of a set of bails), which ``died'' in a match in 1882 when Australia beat England for the first time” is on the slightly intense (or perhaps fanatical) side. Should you doubt that present day cricket players, fans, and countries are this “die-hard” about their sport, look at the coverage of the World Cup HERE. or HERE. Typical sports coverage fare you say? Well, besides the ads urging the Indian population to pray to the gods for Indian victory (and most of them are) check out the fact that, after Pakistan shockingly lost their bid in the first round (they were ranked #3 in the world and heavily favored to win), their coach was murdered.

Oops?

I think someone forgot this was just a game. Or someone didn’t tell them the rules.

Given that, no further comments. I think I’ll stick to park cricket with the family and root for Indian team victory from the comfort of my own home and with the relatively sane company of Brejan and Sibu.

I thought you would enjoy this slice of life from my side… the cricket craze is just part of living here. Go India!

* * * * *

Update:

There is great mourning and a spirit of dejectedness in India today. Last night India played poorly against Sri Lanka and lost...they are out of the World Cup. (There is some small, say 1%, chance that they might pass through to the next round but that depends on the performance of other teams.)

The Indian team is advised not to return home anytime soon – apparently eggs are waiting for them, among other things.

Anger management, anyone?

Just kidding. I should clarify that only a small group, i.e., very few, are actually crazy (in the insane fashion) about cricket; the rest of the country has a very healthy, normal love for the game that only occupies their every thought, most conversations (at one time or another), all TV ads, and just about every spare moment.

So, while India is out (sob sob) there is still good cricket left to watch. Pass the cracker jac... er... tea and crumpets...

2 comments:

anthony said...

Who would have guessed that India was all about cricket? Are they into any other sports in India?

Thanks for a taste of Indian sports culture...

Duffy said...

Yes... kabadee. I can't even begin to describe that crazy game. YouTube has some great clips of it, which I'll try to post at some point.
:)