Saturday, October 14, 2006

Loving India!

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Cademon's Call, but they have an excellent album entitled, Share the Well. The album is a compilation of songs inspired by their trips to India and South America. While I've always loved the CD, it is quickly acquiring a more significant place in my heart as the lyrics ring true to my experiences. In many ways, the lyrics are an outlet for my daily increasing love for this country; they not only describe the culture, but convey a serious desire to see God known and glorified by the Indian people -- from the little beggar girl to the wealthy business man, from the modern Hindu to the strict Buddhist.

One thing that is helping me increase my love for this culture is just being in it. Specifically, I got the chance to explore New Delhi on my own today and really relished the experience. I will admit that walking the streets alone was a bit of an... "adventure", but the people watching and cultural observation was worth it! I set off from the YWCA and walked past a monument that is on all the maps. To be honest, I don't quite understand what it is, but I was told it helped to tell time in ancient days. Again, I didn't quite get it, but was pleased that I'd found and checked off an historical, tourist landmark. I walked down a street (the wrong one, it turned out) that was full of people who are paid to protest various political bills. Between noon and 3 on various days they gather and demonstrate.After walking down this street twice (like I said, it was the wrong one), I finally made it to the Imperial Hotel, one of the oldest and most beautiful hotels in all of India (according to their brochure). I was asked for my autograph there (I don't know why; I guess we can chalk it up to a "Karisa Experience"); no, I didn't give it! I then went to the Januper Market area, a place with many outdoor shops and ended up at a McDonalds for my ice cream fudge Sunday fix. I completed my time with a walk in a "park", where I sat on a bench and observed people in the outdoor market, before hiring a rickshaw to take me home. During this ride I learned the valuable lesson that rickshaw drivers are paid commission to take you to shop locations, as my driver tried to take me to several before taking me home. I believe that in the future I should be firm about my destination before I hop in!

The Indian people, as a culture, are so friendly and helpful! I have been most impressed and encouraged by how readily they extend themselves into conversation with me. It has allowed me to ask lots of questions about individuals and about the culture. It has also allowed me to share easily about why I am here in India -- they are always amazed I am staying so long. I have been presented with numerous opportunities to share openly, albiet briefly at times, the gospel, and I am encouraged, challenged, and joyful for it! Please continue to pray for these opportunities -- that I would be obedient to willingly & readily share my faith.

On a more humorous note (and to return to Cademon's Call lyrics) I spent the day with a certain phrase of their song running through my head. It became an almost anthem, actually, as I "puttered" (that word has not nearly enough action packed into it to be an adequate adjective)around in my autorickshaw. Although I'm forgetting the first words, it goes something like this... "...rickshaws beg the question, 'Are all these red lights just suggestions?' Oh, it's gonna be OK, they know dead men can't pay..." That, my friends, is driving in India.

5 comments:

Mike said...

The Indian people, as a culture, are so friendly and helpful! I have been most impressed and encouraged by how readily they extend themselves into conversation with me. It has allowed me to ask lots of questions about individuals and about the culture. It has also allowed me to share easily about why I am here in India ... I have been presented with numerous opportunities to share openly, albiet briefly at times, the gospel...Please continue to pray for these opportunities -- that I would be obedient to willingly & readily share my faith.


Fantastic. At Grace tomorrow (wow - as I write this it is already technically Sunday there!) we will be having an Acts Continued sermon. I am quite a bit confident that our time will look much different than yours. However, in both cases we get the wonderful opportunity to see how God is continuing to do his work in the world through His church.

May God strengthen you and give you the boldness to proclaim his gospel. It is the power of God unto salvation. May He grow you and use you mightily.

In Christ alone,
mike

Cynthe said...

Karisa,
It's so good to hear that you are adjusting even the slightest to the Indian culture and way of life. I read through your entire blog tonight and it stood out to me that in one blog you asked for prayer that you would love the Indian people more, and in the very next one (your most recent), it was already apparent that God is answering that prayer! So excited for you as these first few days throw at your every bit of confusion and unfamiliarity they can! :0) Praying for you!
Cynthe

Kenny Clark said...

Karisa,

Betsy and Donna and I all got home a little while ago... late on a Tuesday night. Erik is still over in his office preparing to speak at the Torrey Conference.

I loved reading this post. I remember taking that same walk. I think we even got a sundae at the same McD's. Bets and Donna were going on about how brave you are to explore all by yourself. I'm not surprised at all. Anyone who can take a shot to the nose and keep laughing is certainly tough enough to peruse the back streets of New Delhi.

I'm guessing you're with Sheila now. Give her a hug from the Clarks and the Thoenneses. And then have her give you a hug from us. (Maybe one hug can count both ways... I'm not sure how that works.)

I'll be praying that God will help you learn quickly how you will be able to support & encourage Sheila most effectively. We miss you already!

K & B

cabalka said...

Hey Karisa,
So great to hear about your adventure so far. I totally get what you mean by incongrous. I feel the same way about Congo. Know that Steve and I are praying for you and we will check your blog often to see how you are doing. Keep that time with Jesus at the core. You will need HIS strength to process and keep going. We love you!
grace

Tony said...

Hey Karisa! Wow, great to hear of what the LORD is doing in and thru you. Trusting all is well...